Each year, Summer Youth Initiative (SYI) connects hundreds of TeenQuest graduates to employers seeking to fill summer job openings. Recently, more than 25 businesses and nonprofit organizations met with local high school students and recent graduates at the SYI Job Fair, held April 30 at Genesee Career Institute.
“Our SYI employers play an important role in the development of our current and future workforce,” says James Avery, director of Talent Development at Flint & Genesee Education & Talent. “While TeenQuest helps prep teens with a general understanding of soft skills and workplace expectations, the employers provide the real-world experience that really drives those lessons home. We are grateful for their partnership and commitment to our youth.”
This year, there are a variety of employers working with Education & Talent to hire students through SYI.
- Asbury Community Development Corp. – Ashbury Farms
- Beecher Community Schools – Beecher Summer Youth Initiative
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Flint and Genesee County
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Flint – Mindfulness & Wellness Mentoring Initiative
- Catholic Charities of Shiawassee and Genesee Counties
- Chosen Few Arts Council – Fine Arts Summer Camp
- Communities First, LLC. – Making a Difference
- Davison Township Parks and Recreations – Multiple park locations
- Developing Respectful Educated Aspiring Minds with Sports (D.R.E.A.M.S.)
- Elle Jae Essentials Skincare Boutique – Click here for an interview with Owner La’Asia Johnson, a former TeenQuest graduate!
- Flint Institute of Music
- Flint Children’s Museum – Sproutside Summer Kids Program
- Flint Downtown Development Authority
- Flint Freedom Schools Collaborative
- Flint Fresh Mobile Market
- Flint Institute of Music – FIM Summer Events Team
- Flint Public Library
- Flint River Watershed Coalition – Paddle Programs
- Food Bank of Eastern Michigan
- Genesee County Community Action Resource Department (GCCARD) – Aspiring to Service
- Genesee County Parks and Recreation Commission – Multiple locations
- Goodwill Industries of Mid-Michigan
- International Academy of Flint
- KD Johnson’s
- Motherly Intercession
- Mott Community College
- Sylvester Broome Empowerment Village – SBEV Summer Day Camp
- Urban Renaissance Center – Harvest Theatre Co.’ Summer Theatre Program
For more information on Summer Youth Initiative, visit FlintandGenesee.org/syi.
TeenQuest and Summer Youth Initiative are made possible through the generous support of the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation.