With so many application deadlines fast approaching, March is a great time to start searching and applying for scholarships for college.
Not sure where to start? The Community Foundation of Greater Flint administers several scholarship funds established by donors primarily benefiting students across Genesee County.
These scholarships range from small one-time awards to larger multi-year awards and are often designated for graduates from a particular high school.
For example, here are just some of the scholarships available to Genesee County students through the Community Foundation of Greater Flint:
- Clinton B. Jones Fund for the Flint Area Education Foundation – Awarded to an African American senior in Genesee County attending the University of Michigan-Flint.
- Flint Area Education Foundation General Scholarship Endowment Fund – Awarded to an African American graduating senior of Genesee County with a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Howard S. Staisil Scholarship Fund – Awarded in 2020 to a boys’ soccer participant in the CANUSA Games.
- B. Cook and George Carpenter Scholarship Fund – Awarded to graduating seniors of Genesee County with a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Katharine Roat Stevens Scholarship Fund – Awarded to a young woman who is graduating from a Genesee County high school with an interest in becoming an entrepreneur.
- Leslie G Ames Fund – Awarded to graduating seniors of any high school in Genesee County with a GPA of at least 3.0.
- LeVert and Nina Jones Fund of the Flint Area Education Initiative – Awarded to African American seniors of Genesee County who have been adversely affected by substance abuse.
- Marie Manley Scholarship – Awarded to a female high school student graduating from any Flint or Genesee County high school who participated in the Flint Olympian and CANUSA Games.
To find out more details and apply for any of these scholarships—which have an application deadline of March 15—click here.
Additionally, scholarships are available through several other community organizations and include:
- Back to the Bricks Scholarship – Awarded to seniors in Genesee County who plan on enrolling in an accredited post-secondary college, university or trade school for training as it relates to the automobile industry. For more information and to apply, visit the Back to the Bricks website.
- Flint Kiwanis Scholarship – Awarded to a senior who demonstrates financial need and plans on attending a 4-year college or university in the state of Michigan. Genesee County students can ask their high school counselors for more details.
- Lockheed Martin STEM Scholarship – Awarded to individuals studying eligible engineering or computer science majors who demonstrate financial need and come from underrepresented and underserved communities. Visit com/scholarship for more details.
- Mott Community College Trustee’s Leadership Scholarship – A full-tuition scholarship to Mott Community College available to a student who demonstrates leadership in academics, community engagement and a commitment to attend Mott Community College. For more information, visit Mott Community College’s website.
- Wilsterman Foundation Scholarship – Open to Genesee County seniors with great potential who may have struggled in high school due to extenuating circumstances. To learn more, visit wilsterman.org/apply.
Sign up for the Afterschool Download email